Sunday, September 21, 2014

Apples For Idunna

Every 3rd Sunday of September, Solar Cross holds an apple harvest and Idunna blot as an all day version of their usual 3rd Sunday morning devotional. This usually involves a community effort to harvest apples, press them for cider, and make apple butter. We also barbecue and have a potluck feast. 


I'm usually the "apple butter queen." This happens to be my anniversary of canning. I'd wanted to can for a long time and had the tools to do it already, but hadn't yet dove in till Thorn brought apples up to Stone City and I decided that would be my perfect start. That year I called it Thorn Apple Butter, after the bringer of the apples. Every year since, I've made the same apple butter but have called it Idunna Apple Butter for the goddess we honor as I'm making it. 


(If you are reading this and are unfamiliar with the goddess Idunna or what a Heathen blot is, I'd like to tell you what I tell my kids: "The internet is your friend if you use it right. Google it.")


This year was Terran's first time being there for the harvest and blot. He did a great job of helping harvest from up in the apple tree. So great, in fact, that a demand had to be made that he cease apple picking before we all drown in apple pulp and cider...


Here's this years recipe before I forget: 

A full pot of apple pulp, post pressing
7 cups sugar
Some water

Cook that down till it starts looking like apple sauce. Add spices:

3 tsp ground cinnamon
1-2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves

Keep cooking till it doesn't slide off the spoon. (How's that for scientific? I'm not sure how to explain it better.) 


If you were there and we're able to take home some apple butter, please offer up some feedback. I always like to hear how a batch turned out. If you were there and didn't get to take any home, come over sometime for coffee and toast (gluten free options always available at my house) and I'll get a jar out to share with you.


By the way, steam burns are awful. Always open your steam bath canner away from your body. I'll be nursing this burn for a while...


For more about Solar Cross Temple, go here: http://www.solarcrosstemple.org

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. It makes me smile to see.

    ReplyDelete