Sunday, June 26, 2011

¡Jalapeño Mama!

About a week ago I made jalapeño jelly. Here I present the process with some photos (& tips)...

1. Turn to page 129 of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. "Easy Jalapeño Jelly"

2. Prepare jars and lids. (I didn't actually do this part in the right order, but that was my mistake. Right?)

3. De-seed, de-stem, de-vein and chop up jalapeños.
Wear gloves.
(The recipe calls for 12 oz. I think I had a little more than that.)

(I ended up with twice this much)

4. Put the jalapeños through a grinder. (Since I don't have the electricity to justify owning a food processor or blender.)
(photo by Terran:)


5. Mix jalapeño puree with 2 cups cider vinegar & 6 cups of sugar in a large stainless steel saucepan. Boil over high heat, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes.

If you weren't reacting to the jalapeños yet, you will now. Maybe a face mask too?

Stir in 6 oz pectin. Boil hard, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. (The recipe suggests green food coloring now. I added what I had left of neon green but it wasn't much.)

It said to skim off foam. I saw no foam to skim. This may be a problem later.

6. Quickly pour hot jelly into hot jars and NOT all over your stove, your kitchen counter and yourself. Leave 1/4 inch headspace, wipe jar rim, put the lid on. Repeat until you run out of jars or jelly. I used 4 oz jars and ended up with 10 jars.

I did have to do two batches since I'm not sure I could double stack the jars and my canner only fits 7 at a time. The second batch jellied up a bit while it was waiting for jars, so I'm not sure how well those ones turned out.

7. Process for 10 minutes, or 15 if you live at the same elevation as me (roughly 2200-2400 ft?).

8. Once the cans have set for a day or so, add cute labels.


9. Give away to friends & family and/or enjoy with cream cheese and crackers.


I'll get back to you after we've taste-tested...

1 comment:

  1. Ok, reviews:

    Maia says "It's odd. It's spicy but sweet."
    Terran says "Interesting."
    Jamie says "It's better than jalapeños."

    It's pretty good with cream cheese and crackers. Nice flavor. It's getting gobbled up! :)

    One negative: While I was boiling, I was worried that it was too liquidy and wouldn't set properly, so I overboiled it a bit. Don't do that. It's a bit tough to spread, so I should have just trusted that it would set fine.

    ReplyDelete