Monday, March 28, 2011

Sunshine & Spring Cleaning

It has been raining for a couple weeks now. Our road flooded so badly that I could not make it home in my minivan and had to borrow Jamie's truck for the week. My driveway, front yard and chicken yard all turned to muddy messes that threatened to make me slip every time I went outside. Some days were so cold and wet that even the dog would not go outside. The sound of rain pelting the metal roof of the travel trailer was what I woke up to most mornings and any moment of silence felt eery. But today, there is sun.

Not only is it sunny, but Jamie is in the process of actually moving up here. I went to San Jose yesterday to help him pack and brought a load of his stuff home with me. I am hoping that he'll be finished by the end of next weekend. This has been a really difficult month for us because the time we usually spend together, he has spent packing and getting rid of stuff while I get ready up here for him to move in. The separation has become increasingly more agonizing with every weekend. I'm quite ready for him to be living here full time.

Today I unloaded Jamie's stuff from the van and put things away in the house. His stuff now fills every extra space I could find in the kitchen and his side of the closet is full. It really feels like he's almost here. Then I decided to start cleaning out my closet, reorganizing and getting rid of a few things. I discovered that all of the trailer walls have been condensating all winter and that means a lot of stuff is wet and moldy. Ew.

The kids and I tackled their bedroom and managed to find all of the dirty clothes that they never give me on laundry day. (I now have a lot more laundry to do...) We also filled a garbage can and 3 paper bags for Goodwill. We found the snow gloves Terran needed when it was snowing and his nice fleece slippers I'm always telling him to put on his cold feet. Maia found all sorts of things she'd been looking for. And a LOT of stuff in there was wet and moldy from the walls. Finally, Terran's side is totally clean and tidy and Maia is working on the last of hers while I type this out.

This week is supposed to remain sunny and clear, so I will use the opportunity to totally clean, organize, and tidy the house. Then I'll wash all of the windows and walls to make sure there's no more mold, sweep the floors and wipe out the fridge, freezer and oven. I really love having things organized and tidy. I'm easily overwhelmed by the mess, though, and easily distracted by my creative endeavors. I hardly can blame the children for being just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment